“Training as Theatre” – An Evening of Improvisation
Date: Wednesday, 19th September 2012
Presenter: Simon Taylor
Session Background: All of us have experienced memorable moments when the unusual or the unexpected enhanced our learning in some way. Over the mumble…mumble… years I’ve been involved in Adult Education / Training / Learning and Development, HRD, etc, it has increasingly dawned on me that effective, impactful learning often owes more to the lessons of theatre than of school.
So this month, I’d like to welcome you to NZATD’s stage and invite you to become one of our evening’s host of dramatis personae. On the menu for the evening, a multi-course banquet of learning and development challenges. The ingredients for this being the genius of your fellow thespians, the wisdom of the group, a small collection of resources and materials, and a smattering of creative insanity.
What you will need to bring to the theatre:
- Enthusiasm and Creativity.
- Knowledge and a willingness to share it.
- One or two physical items / props / resources you have used – or think would be good to use – at training or learning ‘event’. I’m expecting you to walk away with some thoughts about the lessons we can learn as training and development professionals from the realm of theatre, some ideas you can apply to your own activities, and a smile.
I look forward to playing with you all.
Presenter: Simon Taylor
Simon Taylor has been involved in training and development for a lot longer than it seems to him. As a training and development consultant Simon has tended to focus on the development and delivery of soft skills training – usually leadership and customer service. He has worked for a wide variety of customers in the private and public sector – still on his customer bucket list to tick off are the petrochemicals, mining, and hospitality industries. Simon is a former NZATD Branch and National President. His NZATD membership began at the same time as his training career and he still has a number of the NZATD T-shirts to prove it. Currently, Simon is interested in David Rock’s research into the neuroscience of anxiety, the science fiction writings of John Scalzi, and the musical offerings of E Nomine and Sabaton. In his remaining spare time he sometimes sleeps.
Venue: Write Ltd, Level 9, Baldwins Centre, 342 Lambton Quay Please use lifts at top of the escalator.
NB Lifts close at 5.00pm. There will be helpers to escort you to Level 9 from 5.00pm to 6.00pm
Investment: $20 incl. GST for NZATD and affiliate members, and $40 incl GST for non-members.
- Online (both NZATD members & non-Members) can register and pay by logging on to http://www.nzatd.org.nz/calendar/
- Members of our affiliate organisations wanting to pay the member fee email Carolyn Burns (Carolyn.firstname.lastname@example.org) with your name, membership status of the affiliated organisation, and credit card or other payment details
Please Note: NZATD will no longer be issuing invoices and payment should be made prior to attendance by credit card or direct deposit to our Westpac Bank Account (Account 03-0502-0048493-00 ensuring that the payment is noted as Wellington September event)
Registrations close midday Monday 17th September 2012
Please give 48 hours notice of cancellation. Once registered you will be expected to pay regardless of attendance. Substitutions are accepted.Online Registration
You can register for this event online through our secure booking system - click here.